Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Texas; Part 1: Austin, TX.


After waking up to the sounds of wild Roosters trying to out CROW each other, and feeling perhaps a little more hungover than I would have liked to be (as you do in New Orleans), I found myself hitting the road again for Austin, TX.

The drive from New Orleans to Texas was not too bad, I was still able to tune into most of the great music stations from New Orleans until the Texas line. I noticed a huge switch in the programming immediately after crossing into Texas. All NPR stations ceased to exist. Thankfully I had CD's.

Once I got to Austin though I got to begin to see why this city has grown exponentially for the last 3 years. It's one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

My friend Max took me to the Easy Tiger first, which is really a trip. It's like being transported to some European beer garden. There's a small river that passes through the back of the beer garden:




The next day we decided to hit up Jester King Brewing company, which was nothing short of fantastic. The beer they make at this place is weapons-grade amazing sour beer. We got to take the tour, and really hear about what separates Jester King from the other brewers in Texas, and also around the country. 







Aside from the beer, the food is really what struck me in Austin. There is no shortage of AMAZING food destinations. Really great stuff everywhere I went. From the most amazing tacos I've ever had at a food truck, to artisan chicken sausage with a giant Live Oak Hefeweizen, I can see why Austin is called a "loop-hole" in the bible belt. I had a blast and would definitely FLY back one day for SXSW or something.

But no amount of good beer, friendly reunions, or amazing food could prepare me for what came next. The drive through Texas back roads....to Amarillo.

Tune in later tonight for Part 2 of Texas.... because this state is so fucking big and pointless, I couldn't fit all my thoughts on it into one post.

No comments:

Post a Comment